Sunday, September 4, 2011

Week 1 Comment to Heather Hanes


Wk1 Reading: Copyright Laws
Photo Credit: Microsoft Clip Art Gallery
So this week we had three parts to read to begin to understand copyright laws. Let me just say, that it is still as clear as mud. When Professor Bustillos said that is was "an ocean of grey," that was certainly not an understatement. It seemed to me that many of the videos seemed to contradict each other a little bit. Several said that "Fair Use" was a great movement to help protect from censorship, however; there is no clear way to use it. Yes there are codes of practice, but these codes of practice aren't sanctioned or recognized by law (to my understanding). To me it seems like a way to say, "If all of us are doing the same thing, there are too many of us to try to sue." I've seen the same premise used with employees. "If we all do it, they can't fire us all." That doesn't mean that it is right...just that it is less likely to be enforced. Also with Fair Use you have so much that is subjective. The idea of a proportional amount, the work not infringing on the owner's ability to profit, and the idea of whether it is necessary. All of these are subjective. I may have taught a unit on the Civil War without the use of the movie "The Patriot" before the movie was created, but now that the movie is out I cannot imagine trying to teach the idea of families and communities torn apart by the choosing of sides. Technically, it is not Fair Use, as I have had the unit previously...but if you ask me, I will tell you it is.

I applaud the artists that contribute to Creative Commons. I think that the industries are looking at downloading and using material in the wrong light. I had to laugh when the lawyer for the film industries claimed to lose $6 billion a year on pirating. Look at how much they make already! Can you imagine how much they would make otherwise?? It is unbelievable to me as someone who makes way less than $40,000/year.

In the end (in my humble opinion), you have to take a look at what the consequences of the actions are. Industries are worried more about money than preserving history and that was never more clearly illustrated than in the "Eyes on the Prize" video. You have irreplaceable pieces of history that are lost forever because of money. In a few years when are younger generations are unable to appreciate the struggles of their ancestors will that be worth further lining the pockets of the already overly wealthy??
Posted by Heather Pirraglia-Hanes at Thursday, September 01, 2011

Mr.LesBrown3 said...

Heather,
Thanks for commenting on my blog. I agree that it is muddy waters, copyright that is.Fair use a legal defensible scary place to stand, agreed? Creative Commons we applaud you.
Thanks Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment