Saturday, September 17, 2011

Week 3 Comment to Christine Shikenjanski

The Art of Possibility- Chapters 5- 8
Tuesday, September 13, 2011
Photo by Nele's



Practice 5: Leading from any chair
This practice was a great reminder for me. As parents we often forget to let our kids lead. As mom, I am the director. I call the shots, but I also cook dinner, do laundry, pay bills, play counselor, supporter, protector, chauffer, and on and on. While reading this practice I was reminded that like any good director I should sit back and let me kids lead. My youngest son Alex who is 12 reminded me the other day that I have told him several times that he could cook dinner, but in his words “it never works out”. He is right on that. I would like to say it is because he has other things to do, but often it never works out because of me. I have either been to distracted or found it easier to do it myself. In either scenario from the tone of his voice he has been left clearly disappointed. I am so glad to have read about this practice. It was the reminder I absolutely needed. Alex and I are going to plan a night where he can “lead from any chair” and make dinner.

Practice 6: Rule Number 6: Don’t take yourself so goddamn seriously!
This practice made me really laugh! I think this is great for EVERYONE!
I know I definitelty take myself too seriously! This will be my new Mantra!

Practice 7: The Way Things Are:
With every chapter I read I fall more and more in love with this book. I am a strong believer in things happening for a reason and timing being everything. In general I would say I am a positive person. However, in the past several weeks my stress level has increased and I have found myself more and more frustrated with the way things are. Usually, I can find peace and acceptance with the way things are and am able to continue moving forward. However, recently I have found myself being more frustrated than usual and less patient. These feelings leave me feeling overwhelmed and disheartened. Neither of which I like feeling. While I was reading this chapter, I began to see these changes. I am so glad that I have read this. The reality of life is that things are the way they are at times and it is at those times that we have to take a deep breath and remember it’s the way things are today but not necessarily the way they will be tomorrow. Finding acceptance today gives you the power to accept tomorrow.

Practice 8: Giving Way to Passion:
As I was reading this chapter, I was aware that this is one area I must work on. I have no identifiable passion. Perhaps that is because I have yet to participate. I can think of things I enjoy and those things I would like to do, but I am the master at ignoring or discouraging myself from participating. For example, I like to sing. I don’t have the confidence. I have been told I have the ability, but when it comes to it I am afraid. As I was reading this chapter I stopped and asked myself, “What am I afraid of?” The answer was not being good enough or failing. As I made this realization it occurred to me, that I may or may not be good enough, but unless I participate I will never know. I liked the concept of BTFI. Beyond the Fuck It is where I need to go. I need to hold my head up high, and sing if that is what I want to do. This is a chapter I will definitely read again!

LesBrowniII@fullsail.edu
Christine,
I appreciate your honesty in this post. I should allow mt children to lead also. It is true Chapter 6 can be challenging. I laughed through this chapter as well. Do you take yourself to serious in all areas? I like the idea of accepting things the way they are. I never thought this would be empowering but it is. I find accepting the way things are clarifies possibilities and negates wasting time on pipe dreams of false change.

No comments:

Post a Comment